Tuesday, January 16, 2007

James Baker III

The Unbearable Hardness of the Peace Process...


A two-days conference on "Madrid Fifteen Years Later" at the Intercontinental, in the Castellana. Felt like going back in time, indeed. As Hanan Ashrawi said in her intervention, with a microscopic hint of self-consciousness: "we are older, hopefuly the wiser.. with a certain amount of cynicism .. but still very much engaged and commited to move things further.."
I managed to flash my older, wiser (more cynical) self to a number of carefuly selected attendants, including la Ashrawi herself. Later, back in my office, I flex the muscles of my keyboard-typing fingers, reporting my impressions. Felt good to be back in business.
I realize I'm still very much engaged and commited to move things further.

No comments: